Experiential Brain-Based Approaches to Increasing Engagement and Building a Positive, Supportive Classroom Community
Join in this interactive workshop and fill your teaching toolbox with experiential, brain-based techniques to engage, motivate and meet the diverse needs of learners while building a positive, collaborative learning community. These strength-based approaches help educators differentiate instruction and maximize social-emotional learning and academic outcomes.
• Experiential, brain-based strategies to actively engage learners physically, emotionally, socially and intellectually
• New research from the field of educational neuroscience and its impact on learning, teaching, group work and social-emotional skills development
• Methods for creating a positive and supportive environment for learning, starting on day one and maintaining it throughout the school year
• Strategies for increasing student involvement, buy-in, and ownership of learning experiences
• Interactive activities and teaching techniques to cultivate important social-emotional skills such as: communication, problem solving, relationship skills, collaboration and cooperation, self-regulation, responsible decision-making, self-awareness, and reflection
• The role of the educator as guide, and the importance of flexibility, attitude,
adaptation, and awareness of group and individual needs and differences
• Techniques for developing responsive and nurturing relationships teacher to
student and peer to peer
• Strategies for embedding instruction in play including games and activities to teach, reinforce and review academic content maximizing engagement and learning
• Engaging, reflective tools and techniques to help students find meaning and relevancy in their experiences, increase depth of understanding and application to future learning situations
Educators will take away practical, brain-based approaches to increase engagement and ownership in learning and the classroom management strategies and structures needed to make them a success. These techniques create multiple pathways to learning and allow educators to review and reinforce academic, social-emotional learning content in novel and engaging ways. Join in this engaging strand and gain strategies that will enhance academic and social-emotional learning outcomes with all students, and support your school’s efforts to create a positive, collaborative learning community.